麻豆社国产

Skip to content

Australia sticks to US nuclear subs despite French criticism

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) 鈥 Australia鈥檚 prime minister said Friday he remained committed to building a fleet of submarines powered by U.S. nuclear technology despite the French president describing the plan as a 鈥渃onfrontation with China.
20221118011112-63772243821cf083b823c562jpeg
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, center, arrives to attend the APEC Economic Leaders Meeting during the APEC summit, Friday, Nov. 18, 2022, in Bangkok, Thailand. (Diego Azubel/Pool Photo via AP)

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) 鈥 Australia鈥檚 prime minister said Friday he remained committed to building a fleet of submarines powered by U.S. nuclear technology despite the French president describing the plan as a 鈥渃onfrontation with China.鈥

The previous Australian government infuriated President Emmanuel Macron last year by canceling a contract for a French-built fleet of conventionally-powered submarines worth 90 billion Australian dollars ($66 billion) and in a deal secretly brokered with the United States and Britain.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has stood by the so-called AUKUS agreement to embrace nuclear technology since he came to power at elections in May. Whether Australia opts for a version of the U.S. Virginia-class or British Astute-class submarine will be announced in March.

鈥淲e are proceeding with the AUKUS arrangements, there鈥檚 nothing ambiguous about it,鈥 Albanese told reporters at a .

Macron on Thursday criticized the AUKUS deal, telling reporters that France had offered Australia, which has no nuclear energy industry, diesel-electric subs that could be independently maintained.

鈥淚t was not in a confrontation with China because these were not nuclear-powered submarines,鈥 Macron said through an interpreter.

But Albanese鈥檚 predecessor Prime Minister Scott Morrison chose the 鈥渆xact opposite: To enter into a confrontation by going nuclear,鈥 Macron added.

When the AUKUS deal was announced in September last year, China鈥檚 foreign ministry condemned the export of U.S. nuclear technology as 鈥渉ighly irresponsible.鈥 Some of Australia鈥檚 neighbors fear it could lead to an arms race in the region.

Asked if Australia was creating a nuclear confrontation with China, Albanese replied: 鈥淧resident Macron is entitled to put forward his views, as he does in a very forthright way.鈥

鈥淗e鈥檚 entitled to make whatever comments he wants as the leader of France,鈥 Albanese added.

Albanese suggested there was no ill-feeling between the leaders, saying, 鈥淲e had a very friendly exchange, as we always do鈥 when they met Thursday night in Bangkok.

Last year, Macron accused Morrison of lying to him over the deal and refused to take the Australian leader鈥檚 phone calls for weeks after the contract for a dozen submarines was scrapped.

Macron on Thursday said the prospect of France supplying Australia with submarines remained 鈥渙n the table.鈥

Albanese said Australia was continuing to discuss with France 鈥渉ow we can cooperate in defense.鈥

With the first of eight nuclear submarines not due to be delivered until 2040, Australia could face a capability gap as its Collins-class conventional submarines approach the end of their lives.

There has been speculation that France could provide Australia with a small interim fleet of diesel-electric subs.

Albanese鈥檚 newly elected government a compensatory 555 million euros ($584 million) for breaking the submarine contract.

Australian Defense Department officials said at the time the compensation was generous in the hope of cooling French anger while enhancing security links between the two South Pacific powers.

Albanese said AUKUS was not brought up on Tuesday when he had his first bilateral meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Rod Mcguirk, The Associated Press

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks