WASHINGTON (AP) 鈥 The is partially backtracking on a plan that would require all new and existing beneficiaries to travel to a Social Security field office to verify their identity.
The Social Security Administration on Wednesday said that people applying for Social Security Disability Insurance, Medicare, or Supplemental Security Income who are not able to use agency's online portal, can complete their claim entirely over the phone instead of in person. Other SSA applicants will still be required to verify their identities at a field office.
The changes will apply to all beneficiaries beginning April 14th, instead of the previously announced date of March 31st.
鈥淲e have listened to our customers, Congress, advocates, and others, and we are updating our policy to provide better customer service to the country鈥檚 most vulnerable populations,鈥 said Lee Dudek, SSA's acting commissioner of Social Security in a statement.
Dudek added that delaying the policy start date will help officials train employees on new procedures.
Last week SSA announced a plan to require for millions of new and existing recipients while simultaneously closing . The new requirements would have impacted anyone who needed to verify their bank information, as well as families with children who receive Social Security benefits and cannot verify certain information online.
The changes are intended to combat fraud and waste within the system, which President and officials in his administration are widespread.
The policy change has sparked among lawmakers, advocacy groups and program recipients who say the Trump administration is placing unnecessary barriers in front of an already vulnerable population.
AARP鈥檚 Chief Advocacy and Engagement Officer Nancy LeaMond said the Wednesday announcement 鈥渋s a good first step by the Social Security Administration to respond to the concerns of AARP, our members, and older Americans everywhere about plans to discontinue phone service for critical Social Security customer service needs.鈥
鈥淢erely delaying the implementation of this change is not enough, though,鈥 she said. "SSA should take a deliberate approach to its proposed changes to customer service that seeks public input, follows a clear communication plan, and allows a reasonable timeframe for compliance."
Roughly 72.5 million people, including retirees and children, receive Social Security benefits.
Trump鈥檚 nominee to lead the faced questions Tuesday at his confirmation hearing about efforts by Elon Musk's Department of Government Efficiency to and cut back on phone service at the beleaguered agency.
Frank Bisignano, was called to account for recent upheaval at the SSA, which has taken center stage in the debate over the usefulness of DOGE cuts to taxpayer services and their effect on the social welfare program long regarded as the third rail of national politics.
A Wall Street veteran and of corporate policies to protect LGBTQ+ people from discrimination, Bisignano has since 2020 served as chairman of Fiserv, a payments and financial services tech firm. He told CNBC in February that he is 鈥渇undamentally a DOGE person鈥 but 鈥渢he objective isn鈥檛 to touch benefits.鈥
When asked during the hearing whether Social Security should be privatized, Bisignano responded: 鈥淚鈥檝e never heard a word of it, and I鈥檝e never thought about it.鈥
Fatima Hussein, The Associated Press